Latest Movie :

Reactionary Measures.


Yesterday I learnt about the proposed banning of hooded garments in shopping centers. This, I believe is another reactionary measure. Just another policy or scheme invented by an authoritarian power in order to control the masses. Not prevention, just a crowd pleasing policy in order to "solve the problem" (Governments are good at this) until the next election, or problem.

My problem with this measure.
This type of measure, doesn't address the problem. Why are people stealing? Is it boredom? Is it money stress? Is it drugs? Is it peer pressure? Is it mental illness? I could ask these types of questions till the end of time but the point I am making is crime (or deviance) is not about the act of itself but it about the reasons behind it.
An additional problem with this is the discrimination this type of policy is likely to instigate. It doesn't take a genius to recognize young people often wear clothing with hoods (Think of the term hoodlum). And, I am not denying that young people wearing hoods may and do engage in anti-social behaviours, however lets not forget young people are statistically more prone to be the victim of crime. The victim. Young may commit crimes of violence towards each other, or be the victims of other crimes.

Why Hooded Garments are good.
I hypothesize a hooded garment may be a form of protection for the people wearing them. As stated, young people are the victims of crime and the hooded garment may be used as a shield against other or provide small comfort and protection. 
Hooded garments are also nice and warm. I am wearing one as I type.


Finally. If I was asked to remove my hood. I would be most offended. I would not purchase anything from the place where I was asked to remove my hood. This is discriminatory, as I will not have have not engaged in acts of crime involving the theft of items or endangered the safety of others. There is no need to punish those people who wish to wear hooded garments and behave in a law abiding manner.


Who wants to protest with me?

Share this article :

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2011. mojalodz - All Rights Reserved
Proudly powered by Blogger