I tried to be polite and tell him, "I've moved. Northern NSW is a bit far away. Sorry". I ended the conversation and tried to go back to procrastinating over my dissertation. Ten minutes latter I was calling Brad Scott, the Greens candidate for Cleveland in the Queensland state election, telling him I would be there "with bells on. Sure, I can hand out cards all day. I'll stick around so people can have a break. No problem, I'll wear my Greens shirt and badge. I might even bake some vegan, organic, sustainable goodies. See you there."
Why? I hear you asking. You're not even on the electorate roll for QLD anymore. Why the fu(k do you care?
I care because I am a woman, a student, a resident of planet earth, I have a sister, a mother, a brother, a father, a husband, extended family. My political persuasion is a deeply religious one. I'm Pagan and so I think the natural environment is of upmost importance. I would also like to think Christianity should treasure the natural environment, considering "God" made the earth (if you are that way inclined). I'm a married woman in a heterosexual relationship and I believe all people should have the right to marry, whomever they choose, providing it is consensual. I am a student and I think the amount I am in debt is ridiculous, considering all I want is an education. But all of this can be considered irrelevant. What is most important is what each party stands for. Their driving values and ethos. Which is why I support the Greens.
Check here for Labor and here for Liberal. I'll simplify it by saying the following for you.
Labor: About workers rights. Relatively conservative but willing to move with the people on SOME social issues for votes. Spends the budget on infrastructure (if they have to). The 'State' owns public amenities (Utilities, health, education ect). Religious without being too pious (think, Anglican).
Liberal: About business. More conservative. Current leader likes to say NO! Uses social justice issues to pull apart the current government (think "send back the boats"). Cuts all social programmes from the budget. Pro privatization. Religious as keeping the family together is cheap and easy for governments. (Think Catholic).
And so, on the 24th of March, I'll be handing out 'How to Vote' cards for the Greens in

Post a Comment