Latest Movie :

It's a mad world.

This post is more of a rant than an informative tit-bit. Recently in the Bayside Bulletin there  was an article which announced the launch of an online system which would help with the clean up of graffiti in the area. I've done some research and I have been following this story as you may remember in previous posts my connection to Aerograffix. I am also concerned about the occurrences within council as from my research in sociology and social enterprise I have been made aware of these problems in a wider context. My main contention with this article is this indicates a much wider problem within council as I think it is unrealistic to expect a computer program to "fix" the graffiti problem. Not to mention the headline sensationalizes it with "Online Weapon".

I would also point out in November a similar article was published  which was the implementation and organisation of the GIPSY system. Notice it took more than six months to sort this out. Also in November a newsletter was published by Cr. Debra Henry. it outlines how its about targeting offenders and how this will reduce the incidences of graffiti. And this is where I want to whinge. Why is the council wasting thousands of dollars on a computer program to take photos of graffiti? I) The people engaging in graffiti typically take pictures of pieces they've done so there is no need to take more photos. (Sorry, I know. Silly point but its true!) 2) This is not a preventative measure or holistic approach to the situation. It's merely a  quicker way so cover up the graff and put kids thru a broken punitive "justice system" 3) I might I also add, WHY THE FUCK DO WE NEED AN EXPENSIVE COMPUTER SOFTWARE PROGRAM TO SEND PICTURES OF GRAFFITI? I THOUGHT THAT TECHNOLOGY ALREADY EXISTED? Seriously, From what I can work out, the GIPSY system allows the user to take pictures and send them to council, indicating the problematic occurrence. I'm sorry, I thought we could already do that with smart phones, digital cameras or even the old fashioned way of making a phone call. I might also add, the use of the an iPhone is ineffective due to the operating system. Seriously, because this is a Mircrosoft system, council is unable to process pictures sent from an iPhone. Hmmmm, I think there is a problem with that, don't you?

Basically, what I am saying it this does not STOP graffiti. Its like giving out antibiotics for the common cold. Sure, it might have an effect, but eventually, we wind up with an untreatable super-bug, and we've only got ourselves to blame.

Graff isn't going to go away. People have been doing since the year dot. (How do we think of cave paintings now? Imagine if Head Cave Person ordered all that muck to be scrubbed?) And punitive measures is not the way to go if councils want to try and stop it. I also know the local council has recently employed an aerosol artist to engage with the young people and has been giving the graff participants somewhere to express themselves, but as far as I'm concerned its too little too late. And what's the point of a couple of one off workshops when the paper and council are engaged in scaremongering. I might also add there was something a little fishy about the whole contract appointment with that gig, but that's another post.

My solution: email your thoughts to graffiti@redland.qld.gov.au Feel free to send pictures even. I know I will be.




Share this article :

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2011. mojalodz - All Rights Reserved
Proudly powered by Blogger